What is Portability?
Portability is the process that allows an eligible Housing Choice Voucher (HCV) applicant or participant to move anywhere in the United States where there is a housing agency operating the federal HCV program.
Port Out Process
Portability Move Out (Port Out) is when an eligible family moves from Orleans Parish to another city or parish.
- If you wish to Port Out, you must contact your Housing Specialist to advise of the request.
- Your Housing Specialist will determine if you are eligible.
- Applicants must have received their voucher and lived in Orleans Parish when they registered on the waiting list.
- Participants must be eligible to receive a voucher to move.
- If eligible, your paperwork will be mailed or faxed to the new housing agency.
- Once your paperwork is sent to the new agency, you must follow all their policies and rules.
Billing Inquiries and port in documents can be sent to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Portability Move-In (Port-In)
Is when an eligible family moves from another city or county into Orleans Parish.
- If you wish to Port-In to Orleans Parish, you must contact your current housing agency.
- Your current housing agency determines if you are eligible to move to Orleans Parish.
- Portability paperwork can be sent by email, mail, or fax.
- Once your portability paperwork is received, you will be contacted for an intake appointment.
- After your paperwork is processed, you will be invited to a briefing appointment where you will receive your voucher.
Portability Contact Information
Housing Authority of New Orleans (HANO)
Housing Choice Voucher Program
Attn: Incoming Portability
4100 Touro St.
New Orleans, LA 70122
(504) 286-8229 (fax)